Sunday 31 January 2010

Packing

Please can anyone tell me the rules for packing? How soon before departure is it acceptable to start? I enjoy the packing almost as much as the actual Holiday, the anticipation of buying books, sun creams, bikini and sandals; fantasising about the heat on my body when the temperatures are sub zero here. I generally start the week before but in the past two weeks I have been itching to amass my summer wardrobe and visualise the ensembles for various occasions, even though we don't depart 'till late February.

My packing is orchestrated with a military precision, space and weight being at a premium as I always endeavour to take gifts for all my friends who can neither afford nor obtain Western fashion, they text and email me a shopping list prior to my departure and I try not to disappoint, we depart with our hyper-max weight allowance, baggage bulging and every crevice filled and we return home with virtually nothing, all cosmetics, sun prep, medications are duly left behind, as are sandals, tops and dresses. This year I am on a mission to locate a couple of good condition mobile phones, The network has just allowed residents to buy a Sim card, an amazing progression in this Communist country, but the availability of handsets is severely limited due to the US embargo. I have old straightening irons and my new mini ones recently purchased from Topshop, lap dancers limousine heels I can no longer wear due to my knee injury, fat clothes and thin clothes to suit my fluctuating waistline, and bikini belly.

This year I have the added anticipation of Mafia mistress and The Champs wedding, although no directive has been given as to dress code, I have no fewer than three potential outfits at the ready, short and flirty, dark and tarty and ,well I shamefully admit, one is almost respectable. Hair is my worst nightmare, a natural "curly locks" I have rebelled against it all my life; in the 60's I would iron it straight between brown paper, 70s saw jumbo rollers, 80s I had it permed straight and now the recent advent of straightening irons has changed my life, UNTIL I hit a humid climate, Anti frizz shampoos, smoothing serums, poker straight gels and anti humidity sprays, I have got the lot, they work a treat in the UK but abbroad I flounce out of the room looking like Jennifer Aniston (well maybe not quite so young, slim or fabulous, but hey the hair's the same) but arrive at the bar looking like Shirley Temple. This year however I have managed to acquire some of the new failsafe product from the USA "Living proof No frizz". Formulated by an engineer, it is guaranteed.....I have read, digested and believe in all the hype and quite frankly I am expecting miracles.........watch this space


No comments:

Post a Comment